Hiromu Oka’s Risograph animations are, kind of insane and certainly something that pushes the idea of using the Riso as part of one’s workflow for animation to a whole new, entirely (in his words) uneconomic level. Indeed.
- Strikethrough: Typographic Messages of Protest is the forthcoming book release from The Letterform Archive to accompany their next major exhibit.
- I like the structure that work provides, but at the same time “A good job is one you can leave at the end of a shift and then get started doing something better.”
- I can’t say I need the products from Teenage Engineering but, like many, I have a compulsive desire to play with all of them so this visit and interview in Slanted magazine was a nice treat.
- Indigo looks to be a great solution to fill the gap left by Apple removing the under-the-hood services that made local web development on the Mac easy peasy.
- If you’re going for advice on designing typefaces, you’ll be hard pressed to do better than advice from one of the true living masters, Jonathan Hoefler.
- Behind the scenes of the recent New York issue of the NYT Magazine cover.
- File under: I'll believe it when a law like this is actually enacted.
- New music from The Cardigans? Yes please.
Notable Type Releases
- Overpass 4.0 from Delve Fonts adds Cyrillic language support, new variable font capabilities and more.
- Lettersoup’s new Milka stencil typeface would be comfortably at home on packaging or wooden shipping crates with it’s Soft, Dry, Crunchy, Brittle, and Aged styles.
- Jooks Script has graduated to version 0.3 on Future Fonts. Those abrupt upstrokes are just great and give it such a nice jaunty visual rhythm.
- Dunwich Type Founders new Becker Gothics family lands at just the right time as I’m digging back into reverse glass gilding. I particularly like the little notches in the Tuscan style which are a little odd but make it totally unique.
- Kris Sowersby added to the existing The Future reimagining of Paul Renner’s classic Futura with a new, now completed Mono family. As usual with Kris’ releases, it comes with extensive background research.
- Prisma from Superior Type is definitely going on my wishlist. I don’t think I’d go setting heavy text blocks with it, but for big headlines, it will shine.